Saturday, July 28, 2012

Creating A Picture Frame

I love playing with different materials.  My craftiness knows no bounds.  My BonBon friend, Amy ( www.facebook.com/AmysPillowsPlus )  had given me a bunch of fabric to play with.  I wanted to cover a wooden picture frame with some fabric, crochet a flower and put it on the frame.  Here is what I did....

I measured the fabric and cut it big enough to wrap around the frame, like wrapping a present.

Next, I painted Tacky glue on the frame.

I placed the frame in the center of the fabric 
 Added some weight to it and let it sit for a couple of hours.
 Then, using a razor blade, I cut the fabric as shown, folded and glued the fabric over the frame.
 I let the glue dry for a while, then folded the outside fabric over the frame and glued that down, covering the less appealing looking fabric.

 I nailed a sawtooth hanger in the center of the frame (first decide if it will be used for portrait or landscape, or add one for each direction).
 My idea wasn't done, yet, though!  I crochet, so of course I had to put my signature on the frame, rather than more wood or fabric.  I found a free pattern on a website for a flower I liked and sewed a button into the center.  (I found the buttons at Joann, having this project in mind.)  I then used more Tacky Glue to hold the flower onto the frame.
 Yes, in nature, there are few brown flowers, but with this great fabric any other color would not work as well.  Isn't it great?  I personally love it.  
 Finished!  I showed this to my husband last night and he convinced me to give this to my mom for her bedroom, the colors will match perfectly!   This entire project began because of the wording in the frame.  I wanted to showcase that in something I made for my own home, so it looks like I'll be making another frame!  (Oh, darn. :/ lol)
 Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment